About Amos

It seems that I have always been interested in Patience Worth, from the first time I picked up a book in the library in Mattoon Illinois, about 50 years ago.  I think it had a paragraph or two about her but I don’t remember the name of the book or anything else about it.  It turned out, though, that that chance encounter with Patience Worth has stayed with me through my life and instilled in me a desire to find out just how Pearl Curran could do what she did if it wasn’t done by the disembodied spirit who called herself, Patience Worth.  If it was done by a disembodied spirit, well, then—that was something else.

I have been drawn to the enigmatic phenomenon evidenced in the writing of Pearl Curran from that time until now.  At first I couldn’t understand any of it, neither did I have enough focus to stick with it until I did understand it.  Some people will say that her work is “not understandable” when what they really mean to say is that they do not understand it, much in the same way that I don’t understand Chaucer or Shakespeare for that matter.  I haven’t taken the time to understand them.  If I would take the time and make the effort, I guess that they would be “understandable” to me.  It takes effort to understand the writings of Patience Worth and unfortunately many people of this day and culture, especially those who want to “debunk” the Patience Worth case, don’t take the time to read all of the many poems, short stories, novels, epigrams and aphorisms as well as the so-called “table talk” of Patience Worth.  They are not willing to make the effort since apparently they already have their mind made up.

AmosDoyle99At the time of my first encounter with Patience, I was  trying to earn a degree in biology, majoring in botany and zoology with minors in chemistry and geology.  I had been drafted into the Combat Engineers at 22 years of age and after my discharge from the army I thought I wanted to become a high school biology teacher so I worked as a key-punch operator (remember this was 50 years ago when computers used key-punched cards) so that I could earn enough money to go to college.  Along with a stipend from the GI Bill and working as a janitor, I was able to pay for college. Since I was an older student at the time (27 years old) that meant that I had no time to waste and so I earned my Bachelor of Science Degree in three years and went right on to work on a Master’s degree focusing on Botany.  I didn’t have time to understand the vocabulary of Patience Worth or deal with her unique syntax in The Sorry Tale“, perhaps considered to be her masterpiece .  I don’t think that I had read a whole novel in my entire life other than one or two assigned in English class and after more than 50 years, I can still count the books of fiction I have read on one hand; most of my interests have continued to be in non-fiction.  I’m still not very smart—have a very short memory and attention span and have to read things over and over again until I finally get it!

Well, I did teach high school biology in Pekin Illinois for a year but the students quickly let me know that teaching was not for me, so I gave teaching up for a 30-year career in Public Health, both at the local and state levels.  As Administrator and Director of Environmental Health I helped develop a couple of county health departments and eventually went on to an administrative position in the Long-Term Care program of the Illinois Department of Public Health.

Currently I am the Business Manager for my wife’s medical practice, a full-time but non-paid job.  Being a life-long neurotic and hypochondriac, I seem to fit right in with her other psychiatric patients.

I really have no interest in convincing anybody that I know anything about anything.  I don’t like to argue and can’t stand confrontations.  So my intent on this site is not to argue and not to convince anybody about anything.  I just want to present the story and work of Patience Worth honestly and in a way that might catch the interest of a few intelligent people and allow them to decide for themselves whether Patience Worth might have been a real person living in the 17th century or perhaps as opined by men of great learning, that she was a dissociated secondary personality of Pearl Curran drawing upon the store of knowledge in her subconscious mind or, as declared by a few vociferous debunkers, a “Grand Fake”. (I’m not sure what that means since debunkers never provide any evidence to document that Pearl Curran was a fake or a fraud.)

I have never visited a medium nor have I experienced any apparitions, ghosts or other ethereal manifestations of the spirit world that I know of.  I have never had a near-death experience so far and I don’t seem to remember any past lives—well, probably not.  While I would like to believe in those things, and I think that there is a lot of very good evidence that those things exist, I am not 100% convinced.  On the other hand, I have had a few examples of synchrony in my life which make me wonder.

I believe I heard my deceased father’s voice call my name in his unique agitated way early one morning the day before my mother died.

On the way to visit my mother a couple of days before she died in a nursing home, I was stopped at an intersection when a large truck was stopped at the traffic light directly in front of me but stopped in the other direction so that I couldn’t miss seeing the side of it.  Covering one whole side of the truck was a sign in large letters that said “it’s time to let me go!”—that’s, all nothing else— It’s time to let me go!”  As I continued my trip out of town to the  nursing home in Decatur to see my mother, I couldn’t help thinking that maybe that sign on the truck was a message for me about my mother, or even perhaps, from my mother getting me ready for her passing.

Woody4a

When I had my dog Woody euthanized, I was driving home with tears streaming down my face,, when I noticed the car in front of me had a license plate that said “Woody3”. For the rest of the year I looked for signs from Woody but nothing else appeared.  On the first anniversary of his death—May 1st, I was hoping to see another license plate with “Woody” on it, perhaps”Woody4″ would be nice since a year had passed.  But even though I looked for some message from him all day, nothing showed-up.  With great disappointment, I gave up looking and as it was early evening, after work, I had gone to Lowes hardware store for something and had forgotton all about looking for a license plate with “Woody” on it.  But, as I was leaving the store and had exited the main doors, I turned around for some reason and there on the wall behind the exit door was a large poster, perhaps 5 feet by 5 feet advertising “Woody’s Hot Dogs”with the word “Woody” printed at least 9 times on the poster as well as the word “Dog”.  As I walked to my car, somewhat overwhelmed by the sight of the large poster, the tears began again and I had a feeling of reassurance that perhaps Woody or someone else had sent me a message that day.

WoodyPoster

One recent thing occurred that didn’t involve me directly but involved my wife.  She had taken her daughter to a hypnotist for migraine headaches and while she was there she had an opportunity to have a “reading” by the son-in-law of the hypnotist, a rather rough-cut motorcycle-rider type who apparently had some psychic ability.  One of the things he said to my wife was “Pearl sends her regards.”  Now my wife had no idea at the time who Pearl was.  There is no one living or dead named Pearl in either her family or mine.  But, when she got home and we shared the happenings of the day, she remembered that I had spent a lot of time putting together a web site about Pearl Curran and Patience Worth and that I had a long continuing interest in Pearl Curran and Patience Worth.  Perhaps the regards from Pearl was meant for me!

Now that’s all silly thinking, isn’t it—or is it?

Well, that’s enough about me.  This blog is for Pearl Curran and Patience Worth and those people who have an enquiring mind and are true skeptics.  I’d like to say I would welcome comments about her work, but I am not inclined to enter into prolonged confrontations with pseudoskeptics about the existence of spirits.  If you wish to comment about Patience Worth, Pearl Curran or their writings, please do.  I will be pleased to respond to your comments.  Don’t expect a PhD. philosophic dissertation on the matters of life and death or survival of the human spirit.  I am a simple man with a simple mind and even though I am not a writer nor have I read extensively to be able to intelligently judge, I have a great respect for the quality of the writing of Patience Worth and Pearl Curran.  I hope you will too.

19 thoughts on “About Amos

1. Guy Lyon Playfair

I fully share your enthusiasm for Patience’s writings. My own favourite is Hope Trueblood, which I find quite remarkable – the dark side of the world of Jane Austin and the Brontës and a great read. Telka and Sorry Tale are indeed tours-de-force, but for sheer readability, HT is my choice. Interesting that when it was published in England, the publisher merely describing Patience a promising new novelist (nothing about ouija boards) it was very well received. But when word got around about how it was written, somehow it wasn’t a great novel any longer.

Something you might be able to track down – I remember seeing somewhere that Pearl C had allegedly read a novel that contained a character called Patience Worth, which could be the source of the name.
    Yet as you say, and as I said in the talk I gave at the SPR in 2011 (with an actor reading poems and extracts) – if there is output, there has to have been input and where is it?

I”d agree that this is the case of the century and am very glad to see it remembered. If she’s still around, maybe Patience would like to comment?

2. Amos Oliver Doyle Post author

I want to apologize to all those who have commented on this page. I inadvertently permanently deleted all of your comments as part of my efforts to delete hundreds ( over 750 in one 12-hour period) of spam comments I get every day to this site. My intent was to leave all legitimate comments whether or not they are agreeable to me as long as they are not malicious comments or spam. Unfortunately I am still learning how to manage all of this spam as it has become a daily chore—manageable, but a nuisance. – AOD

3. Patricia

Over 65 years ago, as a child in England I used to read Patience Worth almost daily in the, “Daily Mirror,” newspaper. I had no difficulty understanding the language because the Bible used the same medieval text.
    Most remarkable was the fact that everything she wrote rhymed so well! And I remember the iambic pentameter. At that time, (I have been in the US over 45 years), people were literate and Shakespeare could be quoted by most people, even if they did not understand the context, especially if the quote explained an aspect of everyday life.
    Curiously enough, I thought Patience Worth was English because of the way she spoke. Information on authors was not as readily available then as now on Wikipedia. So the chances of in finding out more about her was pretty slim. England, being a country steeped in ancient rituals and superstition, would have no problems with her origin.
    In later years when I left home and lived in London, my mother would cut out Patience’s poems from the newspaper and send them to me.
    In the past month, I would say, I had thought in passing a couple of times, of Patience Worth because I have been attempting to write metaphysical rap with renewed interest in rhyming. Today, listening to a talk by someone on IANDS, I saw a list of dates and just hit upon June 2013, and found your story. I love synchronicities!
    Thank you for the work you do. Sincerely. Patricia Hampton.

1. Amos Doyle

Patricia;
      I think it is interesting that after Pearl Curran died the poems of Patience Worth were still being published in newspapers in England. Although Patience Worth is not known for her rhymes she did mimic the style of Shakespeare with a lot of rhyming couplets in her play The Elizabethan Mask. When her book Hope Trueblood was published in England all but one of the reviewers thought she was English. It has been reported that Patience Worth said that her father was English and her mother was Scottish. That might account for her use of a lot of Scottish words. If you are interested in more of her poems, I have a website, htttp://www.patienceworth.org where you will find a sampling of her shorter poems. Thank you for your interest in Patience Worth and my website.

4. Lois Reborne

Dear Amos
    I am the great granddaughter of Casper S. Yost. My mother and her sister were the daughters of Casper’s son Alfred Yost. Mr. Yost and his family had little to do with the girls after he divorced my grandmother in 1932, so I grew up knowing very little about that branch of my family. I got curious to see what I could find about Alfred online- there’s very little, as it turned out. But in the process I found out more about Casper and feel a real bond with him as we seem to share some skills and interests. I appreciate the descriptive primary source material you’ve included in your post. Now that I am retired, I hope to read his book about Patience Worth.

You just never know where your work is going to lead. Thank you.
    Lois Reborne
    West Plains, MO.

5. Amos Oliver Doyle

Hi Lois, it is a real pleasure to hear from you. Your great grandfather was quite intelligent and a real gentle man. He was responsible for bringing the story of Pearl Curran and Patience Worth to the public mind. I admire him greatly. I don’t know why he is under-appreciated but I always supposed that his family was embarrassed by his activities with Patience Worth and spiritualism. His Wikipedia page did not include any information about his involvement with Patience Worth until I added it. In addition to his initial book “Patience Worth: A Psychic Mystery”, he wrote a book about the Patience Worth philosophy which was never published. Oh how I would like to find a copy of that unpublished manuscript. My most recent post about the language of Telka includes some of your great grandfather’s discussion of the Anglo-Saxon content of Telka I believe that no one since your great grandfather has addressed the language problem of Patience Worth as well as he did. I devoted an older post solely to Casper Yost and his relationship with Patience Worth. I hope you are able to review all of the posts on this site; there is a lot of information there. You are very fortunate to have him as part of your lineage. I know I would be proud to claim him as my ancestor. – AOD

6. indianninja

Have you ever thought that maybe your “accidental” coming by these things were not accidental rather inspirations from other spirits, and maybe predetermined?
    And also, maybe give a thought that maybe you are anoher incarnation of her, being a group soul. Or, may know her well on other side.

7. indianninja

By the way, please moderate comments, since otherwise every other troll may post here. Even may use vulgarities.

8. Kurt Fagernes

I think that Pearl Curran was much more intelligent and educated than that is generally stated. She is much
    undervalued. She wrote an article in the Saturday Evening Post by herself and it was accepted. I have read that she wrote the manuscript to a film that was produced in the 20s. What film? I have this from a long article that I read in the Smithsonian magazine. (ca. 2012 ). The conclusion was ordinary, but there were interesting details. Have you read this article ? I think her unconscious was capable of much more than we think. She also was married tree times. What a lady! Her best book can be compared to Shakespeare I read. Is this true? She tried to make a wirting career for herself. I have more about her if you are interested.
    Kurt

1. Amos Oliver Doyle

Hi Kurt.
      I agree with you that Pearl Curran was an intelligent woman. She had a lot of common sense I think. She was not formally educated beyond the 9th grade. She did write a successful short story for the Saturday Evening Post titled “Rosa Alvaro’ and collaborated on the production of the movie version of it.

Yes, I have read the Smithsonian article and have contributed many comments to it. It is true that she remarried after her first husband died. Both of the men she married were childhood friends of hers and considerably older shat she. I don’t think her ‘best book” “The Sorry Tale” is anything like the writing of Shakespeare. However Patience Worth did dictate a play through Pearl Curran about the young Shakespeare which was titled “The Elizabethan Mask”.

You may find the rest of the articles on this blog interesting. In them, I address many or your questions and concerns. Just click on the ‘Recent Posts’ at the top left of this page, starting at the bottom of the list. Thanks for commenting. – AOD

9. Robert Murch

Howdy Amos,

My name’s Murch – nice to “meet” you! I recently came across your site and have a few questions. I picked up a few press photos of Pearl and her daughter Patience and wanted to discuss them and her family. Do you have any time that works for you before next Wednesday?

Looking forward to chatting 🙂

10. Dick Bridgman

Mr. Doyle,

I am Dick Bridgman who talked to you about death anxiety on Friday 7/22/2016. I am looking at your website now. My question to you is that I attempted to find the website of Michael Prescott(am I spelling it correctly) but all that came up was a Michael Prescott who wrote who wrote suspense novels. Do you have his website address?

Dick Bridgman